Liner Notes: October - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds/Dig!!!, Lazarus, Dig!!!

Welcome to the best time of the year! Spooky season is my jam and I'm happy we're finally here. Now, if it would just get a little cooler and crisper outside, it would be even better. But climate change is real, so it's still 70 degrees here in Virginia. Sigh. 

Let's start with two songs to get us in the mood for the October Liner Notes. 

Song 1:


Song 2:


I started listening to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in 2008. Dig!!, Lazarus, Dig!! was the first album of theirs I ever listened to. I knew a few songs of their songs like "Red Right Hand," "Stagger Lee," and "Into My Arms," but I hadn't listened to a full album. I don't remember why this particular album came into my life, but it did. And here we are. Listening to the band fronted by a guy the music press has called "The Prince of Darkness" during spooky season. Perfect.

Before I get into this month's Liner Notes design and plan, I need to tell a story about seeing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds live for the first time. I was going to save this story for the last week of the month, but I think it's important to start with it. Of all the bands and musicians I included in this year's project, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is the only band that I don't think is for everyone. Or at least, not all of their albums are for everyone. 

Probably one of the band's most well-known songs is "Stagger Lee" from the 1996 Murder Ballads album (which I'm going to talk about at length at the end of October). It's not a pleasant song. It's about a horrible dude who does horrible things. Up until the 2010s, most of the band's albums included incredibly vivid narrative based songs versus more abstract themes and reflections on empathy and optimism that would come with albums like Push the Sky Away and Ghosteen. But "Stagger Lee" is not one of those songs. It's violent and bloody and shocking if you're not expecting it. 

I saw the band on tour for the first time in March 2013 in support of the Push the Sky Away album, which is my favorite of their albums. They were playing at Strathmore Hall in Maryland. Strathmore is not a traditional rock and roll music venue; it's a performance hall for orchestras and classical music. I have only seen rock bands at Strathmore, which amuses me greatly. The ushers at the venue are mostly retirees and mostly women. I was early for the show and was sitting outside on a bench when the house manager did his preshow talk with them. He told them that the show was very different from what they're used to, lots of bad language and very loud. He wanted to make sure they all had earplugs and understood what was about to happen. It was funny to me, given my background as a house manager, and also because he was 100% right. My seat was near the back and there were two women ushers in my section. Both were in the early 70s and were super nice to everyone as we came in. 

The show starts. Nothing wild happens right away. Nick Cave is very tall and always wears a suit onstage and looks like a very wealthy vampire or like Hades if he was a modern man (more on this in week 3). He's a very commanding performer and the whole band is a vibe. They finally get to "Stagger Lee." It was the third from the last song they played (I had to look it up), so the usher ladies had a pretty long time to hang out with the band. This song is not subtle. There is no easing into the narrative. The song is about a completely bananas dude named Stagger Lee who does some not great things to people. Total asshole. Lots versions of the word "fuck" in the lyrics. It's a perfect example of a modern murder ballad. I can't imagine being those ladies and hearing this at Strathmore for the first time. My seat was near where they were standing and what happened was one lady actually said, "well I never" to the other lady and they both stormed out of the theatre. I don't think I've ever heard someone say "well I never" in real life. Both ladies were standing outside when I left, in a heated discussion with the house manager. I don't know what was being said, but I felt a little bad for the guy. He didn't ask Nick to sing "Stagger Lee" or to write really wild songs. He was just a house manager at a classical venue dealing with a rock band. 

Anyway, I share this story during the first week of the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Liner Notes entry because I want you to know what you're getting yourself into this month. I'm saving the Murder Ballads album for the last week of the month, so we'll get to the actual song "Stagger Lee" then, although I don't plan on spending much time on it when we have other songs to discuss. Next week, I'll talk about my three or four favorite songs and in week 3, I'll share my wild idea about casting the musical Hadestown with all the musicians featured in the journal and connect it to the Bad Seeds double album Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus.

How does all of this apply to the actual embroidered page? Unlike most of the months, I didn't have an idea planned for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. All I had come up with at this point was a list of a few things to talk about, like the Strathmore show and modern murder ballads, but no real plan. I listen to custom radio stations on the I Heart Radio app when I'm at the gym. I'm not a huge app-based music fan, but I don't have a Discman anymore so here we are. I started listening to the Nick Cave station about mid-way through September, and decided to focus on the feelings, colors, and vibes of the band's music. In the earlier albums, including Dig!!, Lazarus, Dig!!, there is so much narration and so many characters that trying to focus on one or a few made my brain hurt. So I went with feelings and vibes. That the first album of theirs that I listened to was based on the story of Lazarus rising from the dead but in New York City should tell you all you need to know about the vibes of this month's Liner Notes. Me and the musical Prince of Darkness are going to enjoy spooky season to the fullest. 

But also we'll talk about love. And there will be some elaborate roses. And maybe a spider. 

Here's the first week of the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Liner Notes:

October 1 - see the spider charm? I'm planning on using some of the beads in the piece as well

October 1 - Fabric selection and cutting. 

May Jo-Ann Fabrics rest in peace. Perhaps Stagger Lee can go after some venture captialist assholes next time.

October 2 - I've been waiting to use this fabric since the beginning of the project. Excellent base layer for this month.

October 3

October 4

October 5

October 6 - placement for the second, third, fourth layers. The white marks are where the roses are going to be. They'll go on after the second and third layers.


October 7 - second layer, part one

October 8 - second layer, part two. I'll probably add more of this trim after the roses and other layer are done.

October 9 

October 10

Week 1 - I haven't decided how I want to treat the ends of each "road" yet, so they're hanging out for now. I'l have to do something with the ones on the fold side of the page, but may end up leaving the other ones as is. That'll be a later in the project decision.

WIPs, Egyptian Gothic Horror, and Other Small Joys 

I'm still not done with the first part of the Gardens panel for my sewing cabinet project. I'm almost done. I got a little bit done this week. I hope to have this little section done later today or early tomorrow. I need to pick up the embroidering pace or I'll never finish this project. 

October 4


Bea was being very helpful when I was working on the piece on Thursday. Very helpful, like trying to attack my hand helpful. She's a great embroidery assistant.


October 8

I shared last time that my October book theme is "Egyptian Gothic horror," and I've finished the first book, Anne Rice's The Mummy. I read this book years ago and it's still a fun, creature feature-y story. I haven't read the other two books in this series, but have them on hold for after I finish the other October books. I'm currently reading The Beetle by Richard Marsh. It was published the same year as Dracula and actually outsold Stoker's book for a little while. I'm also reading the short story collection The Shade in the Sands.




It's also time for my annual PSA: go get your flu shot and other vaccines that are appropriate for your age and medical story. If you go to a pharmacy like I do, you can get yourself a Halloween treat for being a good adult. 


I've added some lovely crystals and a new plant to my house. I went to lunch in Occoquan with a friend last Friday and there are so many great stores there. The crystals came from Earth Addictions and the plant from Leaf & Moss.




This is Elisa Day - she's named after a character in a Nick Cave song. The character's life doesn't end well...let's hope that plant Elisa fairs better.

I also broke down and bought the Lego Halloween wreath. I'm a weak person. I know I am. It's fine. Look how cute it is!


In addition to being an excellent embroidery assistant, Bea has had a very active week being mad at the new dog who lives upstairs (for existing? The reason is unclear.), hiding, and being a general menace. So basically every week of her life. She's gotten better about letting me give her the allergy vaccine. I'm not sure how she'll do with my brother or dad giving it to her, but we'll soon find out. They have to watch her for a few days in November so medicine administration classes will start soon.





Bea and I are off to vacuum and tidy up a bit since my parents are coming to visit today. What are the odds my mom buys Bea a Halloween costume? She always wanted to get one for Keely but we all knew that he'd eat my hand before he allowed me to put clothes on him. What will Bea do if this happens?

Comments