Liner Notes: June - David Bowie/The Song Went On Forever
on
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
And he was alright, the band was altogether. Yes, he was alright, the song went on forever.
-Lady Stardust
I don't know if you remember where you were when you found out David Bowie died. I was leaving my apartment to go to work and a TV was on in the lobby. The Today Show was reporting that Bowie had died, and it stopped me in my tracks. I didn't know he was sick. I didn't know he was dying. And then he was gone.
Let's start with a song.
There are some who believe Bowie's death upset the timeline of the world and we're where we are today because he left us. I don't know if that's true, but I do know the world has felt a little less sparkly since his death. I wrote about him on my other blog if you want to revisit or read those posts. I will always love his music. It's the music of finding yourself, being weird, trying new things and new ways of expression. Did I love all of it? No, but I love a lot of it and his music will always be a part of me.
For the last nine stars, I used DMC Diamant thread in various colors and some Etoile thread for the final star; the Diamant wasn't doing what I needed it to do. I wanted these stars to sparkle and I think they do. I also used a bullion knot needle for the bullion knots. What a difference it made! The ones I used are from Tulip and I've never made bullion knots with this amount of ease. Fantastic addition to my needle collection. The last star turned out really well; the Etoile thread had the exact effect I wanted. Metallic thread for the win this month!
I had a much different idea for what this month's Liner Notes was going to be when I picked Bowie for June. Life got in the way a bit, but that doesn't change my love for his music and the inspiration. Is it more simple and maybe a little subdued? Sure. But it's still about the stars and that's what I think of when I think of David Bowie - the stars and shining brightly for all to see.
Here's the last part of this month's Liner Notes stitch journal:
June 21
June 22
June 23
June 24
June 25
June 26
June 27
June 28
June 29
June 30
May and June
The June Liner Notes - Stars for David Bowie
Two views of the back - finished (above) and halfway through the black star (below).
Play this song at my funeral. It's one of my favorite Bowie songs and I think it's an appropriate way to end this month.
Programming Note: There will be a post next week, but it's going to focus on a list of books, movies, and documentaries related to this year's project. The first July/Xanadu recap post will be up on July 11.
WIPs, Recovery Updates, and Other Small Joys
I finished the rainbow diamond art piece earlier this week. I still haven't settled on a design for the wood base, so it's still technically a work in progress. I like the diamond art part; I have two more Jonathan Adler diamond art kits to work on this summer. I don't know that I'll pick up diamond art as a new craft, but I enjoyed making this piece and am looking forward to working on the bugs.
I've also been making progress on the frog embroidery. I hope to have it done today or tomorrow. I want to work on a few other embroidery/needlepoint projects but want to finish this one before I start a new one. I know, who am I? Finishing a project before starting a new one...what is going on?
Starting the larger plumeria flowers
Small plumeria
Finished Hoya flowers
I also have to decide if I'm going to paint the hoop. I like painted hoops so the answer is more than likely yes. I usually do that after I finish while the fabric is drying.
Recovery is going. I had a few rough days last week where I felt like crap. Just because I'm up and about and can do things like drive, doesn't necessarily mean I'm feeling great. The discomfort moves around and I'm trying my best to rest and be aware of what I do each day. I had groceries delivered last Friday, which was such a great help. I'm still napping in the afternoon, although my naps are shorter. I'm doing small tasks each day, and tomorrow I'm going to try to take a walk at the indoor track at the rec center. My doctor suggested starting that up this week to help with healing and help me feel like I'm getting back to my routine. I have about two weeks left in my medical leave and I'm going to take the full time. I need it and it'll help.
I know it's all a process and I'm trying my best to follow my own advice: "Girl, drink your coffee and chill." Yes, I'll be stitching that one something.
My parents bought me this pillow to help support side sleeping. It's actually a pregnancy pillow, but was recommended in a few post-hysterectomy recovery articles I read. Bea is on the fence; she sat like a queen but doesn't like it when I'm actually using it at night. It's been somewhat helpful in providing more support but I also find it hard to get up from it if I have to use the bathroom at night. I need to try it for reading support on the couch. I think that might be a better use for it but it's super comfy and I would recommend it if you need support while sleeping.
I did feel up to making English muffin bread over the weekend. I think baking something is a sign of me feeling better. It turned out well and is the perfect vessel for the jam Kelly sent me from her local cider mill. Maybe I'll try a blueberry coffee cake this weekend.
I've also started making latte drinks at home. I finally figured out how to use the espresso feature on my coffee maker and have been frothing milk and things like maple syrup and flaky salt. Having a little treat in the afternoon and not having to go get it has been lovely.
A salty maple latte - this was very successful and I'll make it again.
A honey cinnamon latte - I didn't like this one as much. I may try it again but we'll see.
I also had some success making a nice iced tea with my lemon balm leaves. The hot brew method worked best and I'm going to try it again the next time I need to cull the leaves. My plant is doing really well; I've been watering it more since it's been so hot here. It seems to enjoy being outside and a tiny cat can't eat it if it's out on the balcony.
Bea has had a good week as well. Someone sent her some new toys and she loves them. I have no idea who sent them. Let me know if it was you so Bea can say a proper thank you. She's been napping with me and having a grand time having dinner in locations other than the kitchen. I get wanting a change of scenery during a meal so I'm supporting this as she needs it. She's also been supervising me as I make the bed, work on art projects, and watch reruns of Project Runway All-Stars. She also watched To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar this week and I think she had a great time.
The new toy - there are three in the box. I picked the green one to try out first.
Comments
Post a Comment