I am an adult lady who can do things...

Y'all, I'm featured in an art exhibition! How cool is that?!?

A little background: I submitted a piece to the Badass HERstory project back in 2019. Created by Shannon Downey, the project centered on people telling their stories through embroidery. My piece is called I'm an adult lady who can do things. It was shared on the project's Instagram and in a small show in Chicago a few months after. I didn't get a chance to see it in person in Chicago, but it was there. 

Anyway, a new exhibition of Shannon's work opened over the weekend at the National Liberty Museum in Philadelphia. The exhibition, Craftivism, features her work and work from the Badass HERstory project. I knew pieces from the project were being included, but I didn't realize mine was one of them. I was looking through an Instagram post from the opening weekend, and there was my name on the contributor's wall! I looked more closely at the other photos and saw my piece! It's in the 2nd picture, bottom row, third one from the left. I'm honored and shocked and excited. I'm going up to see it in person in December. 

I'm amazed that my work is included. It means so much to me to be able to see a piece I really loved making be part of something much larger. I can't wait to go see it and take incredibly cheesy photos of myself with my art. It'll be a nice way to end this project too; I plan to embroider while there and am trying to figure out what to make for my last piece.

If you're in Philadelphia between now and January 2, go see Craftivism at the National Liberty Museum!!!


Details:
Stitches: straight and back stitches, French knots
Thread palette: DMC C740, 915 (3 strands)

Comments